Activities and Reflections
Lent is the time for Christians especially Catholics to solemnly celebrate with the Holy Cross. It is by the death and resurrection of Jesus that we were redeemed from all our sins and granted us eternal life.
As part of my desire to have a deeper relationship with God and His Son Jesus, I am making my own personal “Lenten and Reflection Activities” each year. For certain number of days, I need to offer something special for Him. I would normally deactivate my social media accounts, if I cannot fast fully at least abstain from doing or eating something and offer more prayers and reflection letters for Him. Since social media became impossible to cut for some valid reasons this time, I prayed to God to give me other ways in order to connect with Him and celebrate with Jesus.
Well, this is one of my favorite seasons. Growing in a family who loves to participate in the activities during lent; where my mother and grandmother would normally do their fasting starting Ash Wednesday. If not, they avoid from eating meat or sacrificing any activities as a form of offering. I can remember them, including my father encouraging us to participate in other activities like hearing masses, attending Holy Week processions and other Filipino traditions like Penitensia (penitents), Senaculo, Siete Palabras, Visita Iglesia and many more.
When I was searching for any activities for one of my household meetings, I came across with inspiring and challenging activities that can be related to celebration of Lent. Please note, these activities are not my original ideas but I will share to you how God answered me for my one simple request.
The following activities made my 2019 Lenten Season extra special.
Practical Lessons for all days…
Friends, these activities remind us that life is not easy as preparing the cross and painting or eating the grapes. May we all take the lessons from it and be ready because every single day is a battle.
- Always start your day with a prayer. You need to get up and pray no matter how bad your physical, mental or emotional condition each morning. How much more if you will wake up feeling so blessed and satisfied with your life. A grateful heart and humble spirit that seeks God’s presence will always bring us a victorious day.
- You have to remain calm, focus and think positively in the midst of a terrible situation. Never give Satan the chance to use you for his bad ways. Once we lose our mind and cannot control our emotions, it’s an opportunity for him to enter and ruin your day and someone else’s day.
- Be humble and honest all the time. Acknowledging your weaknesses, shortcomings and sinfulness will not make you unworthy to be called God’s son or daughter. It’s a manifestation of your greater desires to be with Him.
When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom. – Proverbs 11:2
- Do everything out of love. Give your heart not only for the one you love but for all including your difficult boss, the strange taxi or bus driver, your arrogant friend, a rude stranger… as in ALL. It can also means to love the things that you do – your work, your passion, your talents, your gifts and appreciate other’s works as well. Jesus did not choose whom to save. He died for all of us to help and redeem us.
God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. – Romans 5:8
- Cheer up and find joy in everything that you do. Your smile is the immediate relieve from stress, it’s the best weapon against your bad day. Cheerful mode gives you light and blocks negative vibes. When you are joyful, you give yourself and others the impressions that everything will be alright, direct you to solutions for every problem, and positive thoughts to worry no more.
Jesus Rises from the Dead. – Luke 24 or Mark 16
- Pray before bed time. Always return the glory to God. He walks and works with you the whole day. He is the fountain of Love, the same love that you freely shared. He gifted you with wisdom, talents and with everything that you have. Now, rest. God will watch you and send angels to guard you while you are asleep and then wake you up the next day.
God is the source of life; He is light, and in Him is no darkness at all. – – 1 John 1:15